Kupuna Caregivers Program
Under Act 102, qualified caregivers who apply for the program may receive up to $70 per day in services (subject to the availability of funds and paid directly to contracted service providers, not the caregiver). To be eligible, caregivers must:
- be employed at least 30 hours per week (by one or more employers)
- provide direct care to a care recipient who is a) a citizen of the US or a qualified alien; b) age 60 or older; and c) not covered by any comparable government or private home and community-based care service, except kupuna care services.
The care recipient cannot reside in a long-term care facility and must have impairments of at least two activities of daily living or two instrumental activities of daily living OR one activity of daily living and one instrumental activity of daily living OR substantive cognitive impairment requiring substantial supervision.
Applying for the program includes:
- employment verification of caregiver
- assessment of the care recipient
- a caregiver burden assessment
Interested caregivers should contact the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) as soon as possible to apply at (808) 643-2372. This is also the number to call in order to receive further information. Or go to www.hawaiiadrc.org.